Now that Windows 11 has been formally announced many people in the tech industry and those interested simply cannot wait to try it out.
It’s probably advisable to wait until the new operating system from Microsoft is formally launched later this year in the “holiday season”.
However, if you cannot wait you can download a very early build of Windows 11 to try for yourself.
Before you begin, save yourself a lot of heartaches and possibly money and don’t go searching the web for copies of the OS. You will find many many sites claiming to have links to the OS. But only download directly from Microsoft.
If you have a licenced copy of Windows 10 upgrading to Windows 11 is free.
Before you begin the upgrade process, only do this on a secondary machine. This early beta will be full of bugs and incompatibility issues. And backup along the way no matter what else you do!
Windows 11 Minimum System Requirements
|Processor:||1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)|
|RAM:||4 gigabyte (GB)|
|Storage:||64 GB or larger storage deviceNote: See below under “More information on storage space to keep Windows 11 up-to-date” for more details.|
|System firmware:||UEFI, Secure Boot capable|
|TPM:||Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0|
|Graphics card:||Compatible with DirectX 12 or later with WDDM 2.0 driver|
|Display:||High definition (720p) display that is greater than 9” diagonally, 8 bits per color channel|
How do I install it?
To download and install Windows 11 from windows update or directly download the ISO file you need to be a member of the Windows Insider Program (which is free to join).
- Join the Insider Program from Windows 10. Open windows settings and click ‘Windows Insider Program. You maybe be prompted to enable optional diagnostic data.
- Click on get started and then follow the prompts to link your account.
- You will then need to join the Dev channel, which means you should be a software developer and you confirm the risk of using an unstable OS.
- Another window may appear asking you to confirm the risk, agree and restart your PC as prompted.
- Once your PC has restarted go to the settings menu as normal and check for windows updates. Your PC will then begin the process of updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview build.
- Important: Do this at your own risk – this is an unstable OS.
Can I just download an ISO file to install?
Yes. You can.
Again you need to be a member of Winders insider program and Dev channel. Join this via the MS website.
Once you are signed up, select the edition of Windows 11 you require. Once downloaded create a bootable USB or DVD file and then install as you would any other OS.
You will need to meet the minimum spec as defined above. I would advise not doing this on your main PC.