I have picked 3 astonishing things that happen when you give up alcohol. Why these three? Because, these are the three main benefits I found as a result reducing my alcohol intake. In my previous post I discussed 10 tips for reducing alcohol intake and right off the cusp of that post, I thought these 3 astonishing things that happen when you give up alcohol would be the most appropriate. So here we go with number 1. Continue reading “3 Astonishing Things That Happen When You Give up Alcohol”
Below I have compiled 10 tips to quit drinking alcohol. I hope you find them useful and remember, that are many other things you can do and many tips you will come across yourself on your journey. Feel free to share them with me in the comments section. So lets begin looking at 10 tips to quit drinking alcohol!
- Do not keep alcohol in your house if you really want to quit drinking alcohol. I found over the years, if you do not have a beer in the house, you can’t drink it. DOINK! Sounds obvious, but if you’re anything like me and you have some in the house, you will always say, well there’s some there, I’d love some and why not. In fact you will find your brain will help with this rational very well and will encourage you to have one, sure why not. I say it again don’t keep alcohol in the house if you are easily tempted.
- Everyone makes mistakes, and if you have decided to quit or reduce alcohol and somehow feel like you have failed, you went on a bing or have have a few bad days, for whatever reason don’t feel like you can’t pick up the pieces again…. I mean the idea here, at least in my case, was to improve my general lifestyle, and every effort I made, and that you will make, can only have a positive effect on life! Stay positive, hold your head high and simply start again. Everyone makes mistakes during this process!
- Drink plenty…of water (…sorry…). You most likely will have heard this advice before, but heed it! Most of us do not drink enough water, and we need it to survive even more-so than food! What I did was – I bought a 1 litre bottle of water and reused it, I keep it at my desk in the office, as reminder of how much I have had that day or had not. It is said, the drinking action is helpful to reduce your desire for alcohol, but I did not find this true for me at all. What I did find however, about drinking more water, is it made me feel more healthy, not just in the ‘I’m doing what I am supposed to’ way but, it also set me in the right frame of mind, and pointed me in the right direction when taking into account a healthy diet. And talking about a healthy diet…
- Adopt a healthy diet. You knew it was coming, and yes, here it is! And it can be very hard to maintain, simply do this gradually, find healthy fruits and vegetables that you like and go from there. Make meals yourself from real foods, not foods that ‘may contain what it is supposed to be’ or is flavoured something or other. Start what what your mom used to make or told you to eat, she won’t send you down the wrong path!
- Go for a run. Ok! Maybe running is not for you, but what ever is your exercise of choice – do it. But if it is running, google ‘runners high’. Much better than that buzz from alcohol, and it’s healthy, a healthy buzz! Who knew!
- Stay out of situations where you will be tempted, until you are ready. I, still have the occasional drink, as I noted on my introduction page, my aim was to enjoy a beverage when I wanted it, but not to rely on it as some sort of solution. While you are still adapting to the process of reducing your alcohol intake or quitting it completely, do not place yourself in a situation where you would be expected to have a beverage, for me, that was certain friends who could not comprehend on any level why I was not having a beer. What was wrong with me? The truth is, for some people, they too feel uncomfortable with their relationship with alcohol and feel somewhat vindicated if you break your pledge and join them.
- You are in control when it comes to quit drinking alcohol! Always remember, it may be hard to find the power at times, but it is always there. I have found the ‘physical walk away’ solution worked very well for me. If I was out with friends and uncomfortable about being bothered to have a drink, when I had one, and was satisfied with that, or I was at home and really badly needed a drink, but did not want one, I just went for a walk cleared by head, it does wonders. Remember you have to approve anything that goes inside your body, you are in control!
- Remember why you are doing this. It has to be for you! It’s, of course, great to have a reason, for your family, for work, but for me these were the positive impact of reducing my beer intake, but not the reason. You have to want to do this for yourself, if you do not value yourself, how can you expect others to?
- Waking up without a hangover. If, like a friend of mine, you’ve had a minimum of one glass (probably closer to two glasses if he was truly honest, and those where large glasses!) per night, you will forget what it’s like to wake up:
- On-time for work.
- Without a hangover or headache.
- Have bathroom trouble – yes no one likes to talk about this one, but it is the free prize at the end of many glasses of beer or wine!
- Quit drinking alcohol! Plan your day and move things around, make life interesting and be positive. Little things here and there and a few big things can have a very positive impact on your life, so do them!
- Stay tuned to my blog, I have been a little vague here and there on some of my tips on quit drinking alcohol, but I hope to expand many of these tips where possible. I hope these helped, and yes, it was kind of … 11 tips, but 10 is a nice round figure.
It seems, over time the battery performance on your iPhone degrades, one theory suggests this relates to the regular security patches and upgrades. While some of these updates can improve the functionality of the iPhone software, they can also significantly impact the iPhone battery life. So is there an easy way to mitigate or reduce the power drain. Is it possible to get a full day from your iPhone, while using it?
Low Power Mode
One possibility is Low Power Mode which was introduced with iOS 9 and is only available to iphones with a least this version of iOS. You can enable ‘low power mode’ at any time under the battery settings. Additionally, once your iPhone reaches 20 percent battery power you will get a prompt asking if you wish to enable it, allowing you to squeeze the last bit of juice from your iPhone. You can enable low power mode prior to this alert at any time.
So why is low power mode useful? If you are going on a long trip and want to ensure a longer battery life, and you can still receive calls and text messages in this mode. However, there is a caveat to enabling this mode, obviously, if low power mode reduces the performance of your iPhone, to save battery, there is going to be an impact in functionality. Enabling lower mode limits or stops mail fetch, background app processes and certain visual effect are disabled, also, the time out of the screen display is reduced.When Low Power Mode is on, the battery in the status bar will be yellow.
How save iPhone battery life with low power mode – How To Enable Low Power Mode
- Open the settings application
- Select Battery from the menu
- From this screen turn the switch button to enable it.
Low Power Mode reduces or turns off these features:
- Email fetch
- Hey Siri
- Background app refresh
- Automatic downloads
- Wi-Fi associations
- Some visual effects
I started watching and enjoying Game of Thrones when it first aired on TV and then abruptly stopped, deciding I would read all the books first. I’m not the fastest reader, it has to be said, it took me 6 months to finish them all. But, reading the books, I got to see, much closer, into all the characters thought-processes and it occurred to me, these characters sure do drink a lot.
Well, perhaps it reflects life, I mean Game of Thrones may be brutal and fantasy. But it can reflect modern society in many ways such as peoples quest for, power, desire, hate, the ups and downs, and through it all, there are flagons of Mead and Arbour Gold.
Tyrion Lannister, one of my favorite characters in the novels, loves to have a drink with breakfast, and then again… well lets just say…most of the day. But, he is a very intelligent character who thinks ahead and sees behind lies and deceit a lesson learned from his harsh life experiences. But is this why he drinks so much? What a million dollar question!
I suspect he is representative of today’s society and our often unhealthy relationship with alcohol. When we drink at home, be it one or two, do we consider this ‘drinking’? Or do we have to be with friends or at a pub for it to count as such. For Tyrion, it was his orange juice in the morning and his beverage of choice with meals, and he was not alone, all the other characters were ‘social drinkers’. Did they need a vice, living in the world they do? Do we? Living in the different, yet comparable, world we live in. Yes, does it have to be beer or wine? No! But, we do need a vice, and NO I don’t mean drugs… sorry!
I will explore some alternative ‘vices’ or alternatives I used when my mind went to a cool beer, in later blog posts, so check those out when you can. And, I am not alone, by the way, in my Game of Thrones question! Watch this video, below, from seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones characters having some wine.
“Ever watched Game of Thrones and thought sh*t they drink a lot of wine. Well here at The Movie Maniacs we’ve watched every episode and compiled a lovely little video that features every drinking shot from a main character and most of the background characters (I’m sure we missed at least a couple) from seasons 1 to 4. Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, which house drinks the most? Well I guess your just going to have to watch and find out!”
Many of these YouTube publishers have developed their successful channels because they have perfected and worked hard on their form and diet when lifting, and are willing to share.
For us mere mortals, it’s probably a good idea to seek some inspiration before a good workout… time to tell your brain, “I need focus, I need strength, I need to look good”. Along our travels, here are some of the best we found, but, of course there are others, comment below and I will update this post.
With over 500,000 subscribers this guy is a hard act to follow. “I’m here to motivate and inspire those of you that want to be your best in fitness, bodybuilding, and of course life in general. Let’s live life to the fullest while looking incredible at the same time.”
Useful Irish based fitness inspiration, he just needs to learn to use landscape mode in his phone 😉
Scott Herman Fitness
SHF is dedicated to creating quality content that will get you the results you are looking for! No gimmicks here! Just hard work!
The Lean Machines
I just started following these lads, there young but seem to know their stuff, with over 250,000 subscribers…
Serious business, here.
It’s hard to feel sorry for any politician in Ireland. But when you are completely unable to answer the most basic questions a politician would expect to be asked about their party, it’s hard not to feel sorry for Terence Flanagan of Renua Ireland. He had a complete brain freeze in an interview yesterday with RTE’s Mary Wilson, who handled this interview with her usual finesse. The interview is reminiscent of that dream you had, where you forgot to wear pants to school one day…
A small part of us, a very small part, mind you, fears that even Renua Ireland does not have an answer to those questions, and his reaction reflects this?
Even the latest android phones, can slow down a point where it impacts basic usability, here are a few points that can help bring new life to your android device.
- App review – How many installed apps are you actually using? Have a quick slide through the apps screen, more than you thought? Exactly! Even though you may not be using them, these apps, may be hogging background services, slowing down your device using up valuable memory. Delete them! Even if you purchased them previously but don’t need them now, you can still download them again from the Play store for free when you need them.
- Space – clearing out the cache and removing old photos and documents will help if your device is running low on space which could cause it to run slow. You can clean the cache by selecting settings > device > Storage > cached data > and the confirm you wish to delete data. Any data an app needs will be re-downloaded when it requires it.
- I hate to say this, but it works. Have you tried turning if off and on again? Seriously, it does help, a reboot can refresh the operation of your android device.
- Start Fresh – Sometimes the only solution is to reset your device completely back to factory settings, make sure to backup first carefully!
There are many, many ways to customize your Android phone. We already suggested some cool launchers, and now we’re back with some great icon packs to try out. via
The Amazon app store for android, is an alternative app store for your android based phone. If you love apps, you could find apps on the amazon app store, that may not be in the Google Play store due to different policies on apps that can be presented to the store. You can install the app pretty easily enough, but it is not obviously, in the Google Play store.
To begin with you need to change one option in your android settings, the below demo is from a nexus 5 running 4.4, but it should be almost the same on other android based devices.
- Select the settings option on your device, and from there you need to go to Security. In security you need to check “Unknown sources” to allow the installation of the amazon app store, as it is not available in the Google Play store, remember to uncheck this option later on, for security reasons.
- From your mobile phone you must now visit this amazon URL, to download the application. Allow the download to complete before going to step three.
- Once the download has completed and you are sure you have completed step one also, swipe down on the top of the screen and run the install file, you need to accept the terms and then you are ready to use the Amazon app store. Simples! Enjoy.
If you find it hard to stomach protein shakes, and we don’t mean lactose intolerance here… we mean physically drinking protein shakes with milk or water on the daily, we think we have found a simple and enjoyable way to get your protein into your system and actually enjoy the experience.
Of course, if you don’t hate protein shakes, don’t let us get in your way… Move along now…
Our solution? Greek yoghurt with banana protein.
Three simple steps
1. Crack open a tub of protein, in the picture we have used ON Banana flavour, and take out a flat scoop.
2. Open a tub of low fat greek yoghurt and gently pour on the protein powder. This step needs a bit of prep work. ..You need to place some kitchen paper under the yogurt pot as the protein powder can go everywhere if you’re not careful.
3. It will take a while to stir it all together, but, in about five minutes it should be read to devour and enjoy.