The web is hopping with 4th generation iPhone news. The iPad is not even in the shops in the US and already talk about the next iPhone hardware and hopefully software is polluting the air.
What can we expect of the new device, will we have multitasking? Will it have a front facing camera for video calls, will it be HD, will it make tea better than Mrs. Doyle?
Apple plans to release a new version of its current iPhone this summer, continuing its practice of annual upgrades at about the same time of year, said people briefed on the matter. The model is likely to be thinner and have a faster processor, two people familiar with the device said. Source
Here is a compilation of rumours surfing the interweb at the moment:
- CDMA iPhone (Source: WSJ)
- Will be announced June 22nd 2010 (Engadget)
- Will be HD, and called iPhone HD (Engadget)
- Will not be 4G (networks not ready)
- Video Chat (Macrumors)
- A4-family CPU system-on-a-chip (Macrumors)
And here are my predictions:
- – The design of the physical hardware will be pretty close to the current iPhone 3Gs, with some minor changes, possible relating to the camera, and a sleeker design
- It may be HD
- It may have more functionality with regards menus and options
- Support for iBooks
- Some form of multitasking – Apple tried to make us think push notification was the same as multitasking applications, for some applications this is simply not the case.
- It may have a toggle button for rotating the screen automatically.
- Support for older mobile phone networks (US)?
- The 4th generation iPhone wont be tied to just one network.
Time will tell!