The iPhone 4 weighs in at 4.8 ounces , about the same weight as the iPhone 3Gs, but it is much thinner at .37 inches, the 3Gs is .48 inches. The front and the back of the iPhone 4 is made up of aluminosilicate glass, which is meant to be up to 30 times stronger than plastic, according to Apple. If true this could be an end of the scratch magnet iPhone?
Apple managed to make the battery bigger on this device which should mean a longer life, all iPhone 3Gs owners will appreciate this. We are now looking at 7 hours of talk time over 3G, a standby time of up to 300 hours. Audio playback is at 40 hours, with video up to 10 hours. As per the 3Gs you can charge the iPhone 4 via USB to computer or via power adapter.
From the WWDC conference you can tell that the screen and camera were a big area of interest from the design team at Apple. And indeed it does appear like the camera on the iPhone 4 will be a huge improvement over it’s predecessor. Apple tell us that it is not about mega pixels, there are other things that make a great picture, having said this we now have a 5 mega pixel camera, as opposed to the 3.2 on the 3Gs camera. A nice addition is the LED flash, which can be used in poor light conditions. One of the most interesting elements of the iPhone 4 hardware has to be that it now has a front facing VGA camera – hello video calls!
- Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- 5-megapixel still camera
- VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
- Tap to focus video or still images
- LED flash
- Photo and video geotagging
Apple is very excited about changes they have made to the iPhone 4 display – 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi. There is a new technology called Retina display. What this means for us is that according to Apple the screen display quality will be dramatically improved over the iPhone 3Gs. Retina display means we should not be able to see actual individual pixels meaning a better display (this is disputed by some scientists).
- Retina display
- 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
- 960-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
The iPhone 4 supports the usual bluetooth, GPS connections, with the inclusiion of 802.11n wi-fi. One of the more interesting features of the iPhone 4 is that it has a metal band which runs around the device with breaks on different parts, this band doubles as the antennas. So we should in theory see much better connections and less dropped calls.
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology
Like the 3Gs the iPhone 4 does not come with a dock,you will need to buy it separately, however this time around Apple is making some iPhone covers (about 30USD). Although you can not really call them covers, Apple never liked people covering up their design, and apparently this new device is more resistant to scratches, so these covers just go around the iPhone 4, we assume… like a band. They come in white, black, blue, green, orange, or pink and will apparently add a little style to your iPhone!
Software – IOS 4 features
IOS is the new name for the iPhone OS, the name change is due to other devices using the iOS, such as the iPad, iOS 4 will bring
- Facetime: Video calls for the iPhone have arrived! (iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over Wi-Fi)
- Camera: 5-mega pixel, LED flash, 5x digital zoom
- Mail: More than 1 mailbox, you can follow threads now
- Retina display: Basically, the screen is so good you cannot make out the pixels with human eyes (does not work with cats eyes)
- Multitasking: At long last you can have more than one app running at a time
- Folders: You can organise applications into folders, so you have a nice tidy screen space
- HD video recording – Includes Tap to focus for video now, in addition to photos
- iMove – Make your own movies
- iBooks for iPhone
- Local Notifications: Applications can generate their own notifications, without the need to send the request to a server.
- Wallpapers – You can now have a wallpaper on the app screens as well as the lock screen.
iPhone 4 in Ireland
Expected to be available in Ireland at the end of July on the following networks:
3 Ireland, Vodafone Ireland, O2 Mobile Ireland. No word on pricing as of writing, so keep an eye out.
Will you get one? Vote in our poll!